Sociology Discussion: Subcultures and Crime
In any culture, dominant and subcultures exist. Within this discussion, you will explore the similarities and differences between the dominant and subcultures while applying sociological theories to explain them. You will also look at how crimes impact our society in a variety of ways. Throughout this discussion, you will explore the different types of crime, how society members view the crimes, and the consequences for committing crimes.
Instructions (The discussions have 2 parts, thus needs to be at least 300 words or more with 3-4 sources)The post should be a minimum of 150 words for each of the 2 parts, thus 300 words or more total. Your original discussion post must include 3-4 sources cited in APA Style.
The Post Should Include:
- Define subculture
- Summarize some of the dominant subcultures in the United States
- Demonstrate how social norms operate in subcultures
- Analyze a specific subculture
- Apply the theories of deviance to subcultures
- Analyze the historical existence of white-collar crime in America
- Define how white-collar crime is unique compared to underprivileged crime
- Explain underprivileged crime and its impact on society
In part 1 of this discussion, compare and contrast subcultures with the dominant culture in the United States.
Explain dominant culture.
- Explain subculture.
- Explain at least two prominent subcultures that occur in the United States.
- How do the norms within subcultures differ from the norms within the dominant culture? How are these similar?
- Select two theories (Social Learning Theory, Conflict Theory, Strain Theory, Control Theory, or Labeling Theory) to explain subcultures.
- In part 2 of this discussion, explore privileged crime and underprivileged crime. Include the following topics in your post:
- Explain privileged crime.
- Explain underprivileged crime.
- How do societal members view and respond to these types of crime?
- How do these types of crimes impact society?
- How do the consequences for these types of crimes differ?
Subcultures and Crime
A subculture is a group within a society culture whose norms, behaviors, and values are different from those held by the majority (Oyserman, 2017). These groups’ norms are distinct in some way from the dominant culture. For instance, regarding prominent subcultures in the US, The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer or Questioning (LGBTQ) culture entails people who fight for LGBTQ rights by actively participating in events such as awareness and diversity campaigns and Pride Parades in order to reach out to gay and trans-gendered youth and influence political activities. In a society dominated by heterosexuals, the community is pretty inclusive, and due to the decreasing stigma, it has attracted many people individuals especially young people who have come out early. Additionally, the Catholic culture is another subculture in the US because Protestantism has dominated the nation. Since the Founding of the nation, Catholics have been a minority but have managed to withstand the pressure and competition of the Protestant churches that have gradually grown over the centuries…………for help with this assignment contact us via email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The privileged crime involves crime committed by people who mostly by virtue of their technological, occupational, social, or economic power for corporate or personal gains. With gradual technological and commercial developments, these types of crime have broadened from more traditional crimes such as conspiracy, money laundering, tax crimes, embezzlement, and regulatory violations to include fraud, cybercrime, and intellectual property crimes (Michel, 2016). On the other hand, the underprivileged crime involves crimes mostly advanced by passion rather than through virtue of power. As Craig and Piquero (2017) suggest, people from a lower social class mostly commit these crimes, and besides affecting property, they are likely to cause injury to a person. Most of the underprivileged crimes do not often require careful deliberation. According to Michel (2016), most underprivileged crimes are those against people like robbery, crimes against property like burglary, and various forms of victimless crime like drug abuse, gambling, and prostitution…………for help with this assignment contact us via email Address: email@example.com