Week 5 Discussion: The Cold War
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 7
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (the textbook)
Select one of the following smaller nations:
- Another smaller nation of your choice with instructor approval
For the initial post, address the following in relation to your selection:
- Examine how Cold War policy by the main players affected the smaller nation.
- Examine why democracy was not successful in that nation.
- Describe the loss of personal liberties that were a result of democracy failing.
- Has the nation’s political system changed since the Cold War? Explain.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least one peer. At least one of your responses should be to a peer who chose an option different from yours. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
Duiker, W. J. (2015). Contemporary world history (6th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning
The Cold War
Containment was the main Cold War policy of the US and its allies in mitigating the spread of communism across the world. It was used to prevent the Soviet efforts to enlarge communism into Africa, Vietnam, Korea, Eastern Europe, and China (Duiker, 2015). Through this policy, the US tried to respond to the Soviet moves in Korea by occupying the southern part of the area, which became South Korea. The remaining Northern part of Korea became North Korea which was in control of the communists. This led to the Korean War, primarily caused by border tensions between the US and the Soviet Union.
Additionally, democracy was not successful in Koreas because the US Support for both Japanese and South Korean governments made them less accountable to their citizens, thus developing a regional geopolitical structure that highly discouraged democracy……………for help with this assignment contact us via email Address: email@example.com