Week 3 Discussion: Breaking the Cherry- Picking Habit – Why Write an Annotated Bibliography? Layers of Information and Finding Your Source’s “Niche” in Your Argument
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: pp. 2-26, 32-36, and review pages 270-293 & 337-356.
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook) Apply the following writing resources to your posts:
- Link (website): APA Citation and Writing (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.)
Initial Post Instructions
Main Post Paragraph 1: Share Your Thoughts on Annotated Bibliographies
Please take the time to reflect and to honestly respond to all of the following (in a single, well-developed paragraph):
- When you started this class, did you fully understand the definition of an “annotated bibliography”?
- Based on your textbook and lesson readings for this week, what do you now understand an annotated bibliography to be? Have you been guilty of “cherry picking” from the sources you write about? Explain.
- In what ways do you anticipate your annotated bibliography being helpful to you in writing a strong, compelling argument research essay?
- Also, after reviewing the lesson and the textbook, what remaining questions do you have about the annotated bibliography in general and/or about our assignment this week?
Main Post Paragraph 2: Perform an Initial Source Evaluation
Part of this week’s assignment will ask you to richly evaluate your potential sources for your argument research essay. This post will get you started by allowing you to practice with one of those sources. In a single, rich paragraph:
- Introduce the source by author, title, and year, and summarize it briefly.
- Explain why you chose this source over others.
- Briefly run through all five elements of the CRAAP test.
- How thoroughly have you read this source and how many times?
- How have you benefited from more thorough readings of the source?
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least one peer. Here, we have an opportunity to learn by example and to offer guidance for one another. The purpose of your responses to others is to support success. Provide rich feedback that you feel guides your classmates toward a high- quality annotated bibliography. Try to reply to classmates who have not yet received a useful response.
- Minimum of 2 posts (1 initial & 1 follow-up)
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside scholarly source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion Guidelines
Course Outcomes (CO): 2, 3, 6
Due Date for Initial Post: By 11:59 p.m. MT Recommended by Wednesday Due Date for Follow-Up Posts: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday
Posts must be on two separate days.
Breaking the Cherry-Picking Habit
Main Post Paragraph 1
Before starting this class, I understood the importance of gathering sources to support my claims and argument but did not fully understand the definition of “annotated bibliography”, which makes looking for sources even easier. Now I understand an annotated bibliography as a list of sources such as books, documents and articles where each is followed by a brief evaluative and descriptive summary of the source with regard to its quality, accuracy and relevance to the topic being studied (Seyler & Brizee, 2019). I have often been guilty of using sources based on the findings and not considering the limitations of the study, which could impact the results. This minimizes the relevance of the picked source…………for help with this assignment contact us via email Address: email@example.com
Main Post Paragraph 2
I chose the article “Urban environment and mental health: The NAMED project, protocol for a mixed-method study” by Lauwers et al. (2020) because there have been limited studies with regard to the link between mental health and physical residential environment in urban areas and this source provide empirical evidence about this association. This paper evaluated the link between mental health and the physical residential environment in urban areas. One strength of this study entails conducting a combination of qualitative and quantitative studies, which increases the reliability of the results. …………for help with this assignment contact us via email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org