You were the lead investigator on Operation Stop Hack and have now been subpoenaed as an expert witness in the case against the perpetrators. It is up to you to convey the complexities of the crime and evidence to the jury so they can understand the scientific procedures using in aiding the crimes resolution.
Write a 3–5 page paper in which you:
- Analyze the overall procedures for First Responder and Incident Handling and ascertain the fundamental way in which such procedures relate to the scenario in this specific case.
- Explain the major steps involved in evidence acquisition and how to maintain the integrity of the evidence, outlining any and all repercussion if the evidence is improperly preserved.
- Consider the importance of the chain of custody and explain the main reasons why the documentation required to preserve the chain of custody is critical.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Outline the legal steps and procedures to process and collect digital evidence.
OPERATION STOP HACK FOR REFERENCE:
Suppose you have recently responded to your first computer forensic incident. The case in question involves a potential underground hacking ring, which the police, working in conjunction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been investigating for several years. It has since been determined that an IP address confirms that location, and the identity of one of the suspects. Warrants have been issued for search and seizure of all electronic devices found on the premises.
View the setup found in the suspect’s home. Then document your findings and secure all relevant evidence. See attachment and I included my previous paper on operation stop hack .
The First Responder and Incident Handling
In the computer forensic process, the First Responder plays a very crucial role because he or she gets to the crime scene first, and the initial investigation starts with him or her. As Hassan (2019) argues, it becomes easier to investigate when the First Responder collects forensically sound evidence. Thus the overall procedure for the First Responder starts with identifying the crime scene, examining its scope, and establishing a perimeter. Another procedure includes protecting the crime scene, preserving fragile and temporary evidence, and gathering all the information regarding the incident (Hassan, 2019). The last procedures chain of custody documentation of all evidence gathered from the incident, labeling, storing, and transporting all the evidence to further protect it, and finally gathering preliminary information at the crime scene.
Regarding how these procedures relate to Operation Stop Hack, the First Responder will secure the perimeter of the specific area or room and create a list of the electronic and computer devices which have been involved in the incident. Also, as Kao et al. (2018) suggest, the First Responder will protect all these devices collected as evidence and preserve temporary evidence such as a running program, information on the screen, or other evidence that could disappear in the process. This entails taking photographs of the evidence before it is lost. If there were any persons present at the crime scene, the procedures also include conducting preliminary interviews of all of them. Besides documenting all the findings in the chain of custody document sheet containing all the information about the description of all devices collected as evidence, the First Responder should ensure that the evidence is stored in bags that can block wireless signals to prevent the data in the evidence from wireless devices (Rogers, 2020).
A thorough, precise approach to get evidence is perhaps the most essential factor in an effective computer forensics process.……………for help with this assignment contact us via email Address: email@example.com